Programme and Communications Intern
ECR, NYSC, UNDG portfolio
New York, United States of America
02-Aug-2017 to 31-Aug-2017
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Job-specific
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services
The United Nations Alliance of Civilizations, an initiative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, responds to a broad consensus across nations, cultures and religions that all societies are interdependent, bound together in their development and security, and in their environmental, economic and financial well-being. The Alliance seeks to forge collective political will and to mobilize concerted action at the institutional and civil society levels to overcome the prejudice, misperceptions and polarization that militate against such a consensus. The Alliance contributes to a global movement that rejects violent extremism.
UNAOC’s Secretariat is based in New York, NY. UNAOC is funded by multiple donors and supported by UNOPS.
- Contribute to the writing, editing, proofreading, production, and updating of electronic and printed materials
- Assist with design, editing, and production of graphic materials to support online and offline communications
- Assist with publishing articles, press releases, photos, graphics and multimedia elements in the UNAOC website and other digital assets
- Support communications projects as they arise, including conducting research and summarizing relevant information
- Provide general administrative support including taking meeting minutes, setting up meetings and conference calls, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree, graduated within three years prior to the application date of the internship
- Relevant experience in communications
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, and experience in developing different types of content for different audiences and mediums
- Strong graphic design and layout skills, including familiarity with Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop. Proficiency in Adobe Lightroom and/or Adobe After Effects would be a plus
- Basic HTML knowledge required
- Experience with WordPress is necessary
- Experience with other Content Management Systems (e.g. Drupal) is a bonus
- Ability to work independently on a number of separate, simultaneous tasks
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong research skills and proficiency in drawing relevant information from technical content
- Full command of Microsoft Office suite of products
- Plugged into the social media landscape
- Interested in global media and global migration
- A good understanding of the UN system and commitment to the UN mission
- Fluent in English and knowledge of another UN language(s) a plus
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Baxılma sayı (475)